Frequently Asked questions
What is The Invasives Project – Pound Ridge (TIP — PR)?
The Invasives Project – Pound Ridge is a public/private initiative of the Henry Morgenthau Preserve, Inc. and the Pound Ridge Conservation Board. It was formed in October 2012 and is dedicated to protecting the natural beauty of Pound Ridge through invasive management and native plant preservation and restoration.
What are the goals of TIP — PR?
- To promote community education, awareness and cooperation regarding native and invasive plants;
- To encourage and coordinate efforts to reduce existing infestations;
- To prevent new infestations through early detection and rapid response;
- To systematically study local invasive species and their management;
- To create an invasive control program other towns can replicate in their communities.
Why is invasive plant control important to the Pound Ridge ecosystem?
Without natural competitors, non-native organisms explode in numbers once they are introduced into an ecosystem. These subsequent and unnaturally large population numbers severely impact the biosystem by:
- Disrupting natural communities and ecological processes;
- Reducing wetlands and streams that make historic water deliveries;
- Displacing native plant communities and/or radically change the nature of the habitats they invade;
- Competing for the same natural resources and life requirements (food, water, space, shelter) as native species and degrade local ecologies by disrupting the local food chain.
What can I do to help?
- Learn to recognize which plant species are invasive and monitor your property for new plants.
- Keep track of natural areas where soil has been recently disturbed or where the woodland canopy has been opened.
- Invasive plant control is complex and there is often a window of time when management strategies are most effective. Check to see when eradication efforts are most effective.
- If you have an invasive plant on your property, we can help you learn about its biology and the best methods of control. Understanding what works is more effective in the long run and will save you time and money!
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.