Founded in October, 2012, The Invasives Project – Pound Ridge (TIP-PR) is a public/private task force initiated by the Henry Morgenthau Preserve Committee and the Pound Ridge Conservation Board. Our mission is to protect the natural beauty of Pound Ridge, preserve wildlife habitat, encourage the use of native plant species, and prevent the degradation of our natural surroundings by managing invasive species through education seminars and hands-on workshops.
The town of Pound Ridge, New York (25 sq. miles located in Westchester County, NY) serves as our laboratory and the residents (pop. 5,000) are our most important resource and citizen scientists. The success of The Invasives Project-Pound Ridge arose from a carefully planned and documented pilot program designed to educate and involve residents, town officials, and personnel on the importance of:
- Changes and environmental impacts of invasive plant species on the local ecology, climate change, deer population, and recovery of native plant populations;
- Educating and encouraging nursery suppliers, contractors and homeowners to plant native species instead of invasive ones;
- Encouraging “early detection and rapid response” by notifying the proper town officials and environmental agencies when citizens notice emerging invasives species in their neighborhoods;
- Education programs designed to inform citizens and town officials on how to control and eliminate invasives plants on private and town property;
- Collectively targeting specific invasive species such as oriental bittersweet, Japanese barberry, Mile-A-Minute, and Japanese Stiltgrass for removal and replacing them with native plants;
- Volunteer work parties, in cooperation with partner organizations;
- Utilizing ecologically sustainable practices that encourage and protect native plant species as well as local restoration and rehabilitation projects;
- Linking the importance of native plant restoration and rehabilitation to conservation of view sheds, clean water, community character, roadways and preservation of native wildlife habitats.
If you would like to receive notice of our activities or request free help identifying possible invasives on your property, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community partners include
The Bedford Audubon, Lower Hudson PRISM, Mianus River Gorge Preserve, New York/New Jersey Trail Conference, Pound Ridge Partnership, Pound Ridge Land Conservancy, Pound Ridge Library and Westchester Land Trust.